Wednesday, October 8, 2014

SEEK WHEN YOU SLIP



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Ephesians 4:22-24 (MSG)
…we do not have the excuse of ignorance, everything—and I do mean everything—connected with that old way of life has to go. It’s rotten through and through. Get rid of it! And then take on an entirely new way of life—a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces his character in you.
They are the some of the most demanding counseling sessions I do; counseling with folks who have experienced a time of recovery who have slipped back but no longer have the "excuse of ignorance".

Maybe it was a drink.
Maybe it was a drink then a rendezvous with some sin.
Maybe it has gotten worse or is progressing at an alarming pace.

The good news in these situations is that we are having the conversation.  Often my folks (or even me at times) are reluctant to admit failure or to admit sin.
Even though GOD encourages it.
James 5:16 (LB)
Admit your faults to one another and pray for each other so that you may be healed.

So last night my time in choir practice was interrupted by a dear recovery friend who was COMPELLED to lay his faults in front of me and I was so grateful to be able to tell him that his HEALING had begun!

But you may be asking why did I open today's DISPATCH with that “tough” passage in Ephesians?  Well along with the healing I reminded my friend that as a believer those days of ignorance as to what GOD expects of him are over.  That returning to his old way of thinking and behaving was not an option. And that GOD was bringing him to this place of accountability to continue to refine and fashion him to look more like Christ; to reproduce His character in him.

I will be the first to admit, I don’t like “correction” or tough accountability.  I am guessing you aren’t a fan either. It is hard to admit when we get it wrong or hard to ask for help when we “know better”.  But it is part of the process!
GOD welcomes us back.  He wants us back in fact! He wants us seeking when we slip!
Joel 2:13-14
Come back to God, your God.
And here’s why: God is kind and merciful. He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot, this most patient God, extravagant in love, always ready to cancel catastrophe.

While my friend was hurting and he WAS deeply hurting, he was obedient.  I couldn’t help but being touched by his contrite and accepting heart; HIS PASSION to start SEEKING again.  He blessed me as much as the Word blessed him.  He helped to reset me from my less than stellar day of sin. He reminded me that I too need to continue to “renew” myself daily, to seek GOD intensely and to trust GOD’s grace for my failures as well.

Maybe that is a message you to needed to hear.  Maybe you have been ignoring the promptings of GOD and His Spirit and have wandered back into some old sin or some old behaviors.

Take a page from Paul.  Grab hold of this NEW LIFE in CHRIST.  Don’t let the stubborn sins of the past seep into an amazing and bright future in CHRIST.  

Seek GOD diligently today as my friend and I committed to do last night!

“God rewards those who seek Him. Not those who seek doctrine of religion or systems or creeds. Many settle for these lesser passions, but the reward goes to those who settle for nothing less than Jesus himself. And what is the reward? What awaits those who seek Jesus? Nothing short of the heart of Jesus.” ― Max Lucado
 
Have a blessed day!
I love you all
Freedom Church
 
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment