Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ELUSIVE CONTENTMENT




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
ARE YOU SEEKING?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Contentment.  That one is a difficult DISPATCH word huh?

That little “state of mind” is downright elusive.  We think we have it, then circumstances shift and like sand leaking from between our fingers so does our “contentment”.
Why is that you think?

I think it all stems from how we define contentment and where we go looking for it.
If you take contentment literally you come across definitions like this…
…satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

Pay close attention to that little definition.  It says contentment means “I am satisfied”, I am not seeking it in something or someone. It says contentment means we are “not chasing” the next thing, the next high, the next deal, the next house, car, “whatever”.  It says “we just have it”.

Yet every day I work with folks who are still seeking contentment, chasing it like a dog chasing his tail; looking to the world for contentment and it is leaving them wanting more; begging for something more.

In fact, I was in that same boat for years.  I had the job, no peace.  I had the cars, no joy. I had the cash, no contentment.
And I am going to be blatantly honest here, there are days where I still pine for some of those things (I am still silly and human) I have begun to learn in recovery and in my walk with Jesus that true contentment is only found in Jesus and is served up to me with the presence of the Holy Spirit.
Our sense of joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment in life increases, no matter what the circumstances, if we are in the center of God’s will.
Billy Graham

Jesus put it this way…
Matthew 5:5
"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.

Jesus is reminding us, He made us, gifted us, equipped us, has our back, is walking with us, helping us, sticking up for us, providing for us.  We should be “good with that” shouldn’t we?
The question is how do we begin uncover this mystery of contentment?
Pretty simple.

Pursue Jesus.  He is the source of real contentment.
Seek first a personal, transforming relationship with Jesus, and then claim the joy, the fulfillment, and the spiritual abundance that He offers; in other words real contentment.
Take a little cue from Paul…
Philippians 4:12-14
….I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

That "ONE" is Jesus!

Billy has another good one…
We are never more fulfilled than when our longing for God is met by His presence in our lives.
Billy Graham

Therefore, don't chase after contentment, just be contented today.

I love you all
Freedom Church

Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment