Wednesday, July 11, 2012

GRACE DAY




Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

ARE YOU SEEKING?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

There are some days where the words of another are “just the right words” for today.

One of the great things about living in the “information age” is that with just the click of the mouse or swipe of the screen, you can have access to an immeasurable well of information, insight and inspiration.  And as many of you know one of my favorite people to draw inspiration and direction from is Max Lucado.  He and I just click.

So to keep up, I get a little devotional from him throughout the week called UPWORDS.

And as I was praying and mulling over what to say here today, I clicked on today’s inspiration from Max and found a great “word” for all of us for it talks about “day management”. 

Yesterday evening I was at Panera leading an intervention for a young man recently released from jail.  We were discussing his prospects for treatment and on-going help for an addiction.  As he, the family and I chatted, this topic of “day management” came up.

My new friend was overwhelmed.  Wouldn’t we all be?

Recently released from jail, homeless, all of his “friends” part of the addicted community, on probation, being “forced” into change.  His thoughts and words scattered at best and continued to swirl into the usual “what ifs” and “I wish I hads”.

It was important to educate him a little on “day management”.

For as many of you know, I am a firm believer in the “one day at a time” tenant of recovery and life.  GOD gave us 24 hours for a reason.  Not many of us do very well when we wallow in our past or project our pain and challenges into the future. In fact we even tend to let those things rob us of the joy of today!

I believe it is why JESUS told us specifically…

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

So whenever I find a little devotion or thought to help reinforce that principle, I think it is worth sharing.  Not just for this one new to recovery but as a reminder for each of us.

So here are some of Max’s thoughts on what I call “day management”.  I trust and pray that this day will be one of blessing, grace, revelation and peace for you.

FROM MAX:

I’ve got three questions for you today!

The next time you’re mired in a bad day, check your outlook with these three questions:

1) What do I feel guilty about?

2) What am I worried about?

3) What am I about?

Reflect on your answers with these reminders!

Yesterday — forgiven.

Tomorrow – surrendered.

Today — clarified.

Here’s my proposal. Consult Jesus! The Ancient of Days has something to say about our days. In Colossians 3:2, the Apostle Paul says, “Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground. Look up, and be alert to what’s going on around Christ–that’s where the action is.” In Matthew 11:30, Jesus says, “The load I give you to carry is light.”

Jesus’ design for a good day makes sense! His grace erases guilt. His oversight removes fear. His direction removes confusion.

Saturate your day in His grace. Entrust your day to His oversight. Give the day a chance!



Have a blessed day.

I love you all.

Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment