Friday, March 7, 2014

INTIMACY


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Intimacy.
A wise man broke this down for me the other day. Intimacy=Allowing YOU to “see into me”. I think I have that right.
Yet true intimacy is hard to find even harder to embrace.
And no I am not referring to the intimacy shared between a husband and wife or a couple, rather I am referring to the intimacy that can exist between good friends, accountability partners and the like; relationships steeped in honesty, authenticity; you know“real” relationships.
Unfortunately the truth is many of us shy away from allowing another to “see into us”; to share in intimacy like that. We fear the skeletons lurking inside our closets will be a little too real, a little too scary, a little too embarrassing or a little to damaging for anyone else to see.
Yet there is a good saying that is often quoted in the recovery circles; “You are only as sick as your secrets”. And there is REAL truth in those eight simple words.
And sadly the enemy knows the sickening power of those secrets. He knows that accountability promotes healing. He knows that true confession is a pathway to grace and peace for he knows the WORD too.
1 John 1:7
But if we are living in the light of God’s presence, just as Christ does, then we have wonderful fellowship and joy with each other, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from every sin.
That is why he plants fear and trepidation in our minds and spirits and encourages us to keep our challenges hidden for fear of judgment or embarrassment. He convinces us that if our “issues” were to be exposed, GOD and friends would be shamed and abandon us.
Yet nothing could be farther from the truth; quite the contrary in fact. The Bible says:
James 5:16
Tell your sins to each other. And pray for each other so you may be healed. The prayer from the heart of a man right with God has much power.
In other words when I allow YOU to SEE INTO ME; when I embrace intimacy in our fellowship, GOD opens the door to healing; He opens the door to powerful prayer experiences and righteousness.
Let me be “intimate” and honest here for a second. Confession and accountability are a struggle at times for me. My reputation and perception are important to me, but they can be strongholds as well. That is why I try to be open and honest in my DISPATCHES as to my struggles with things like selfishness, lust, and anger and such. I WANT that HEALING. And as I share in my testimony, the day I confessed my addiction to those “intimate” friends and took accountability and ownership of that mess, that “sick secret” no longer had a strangle hold on me.
The Life Application Study Bible quotes from an anonymous source: “Sorrow for sin brings hope. God alone is the true source of healing and protection for those who confess their sins to him.”
Intimacy and accountability with others fosters that HOPE! And that HOPE is advanced by allowing GOD and other trusted friends to “see into me.”
So my friends, opening our hearts and minds to intimate relationships is neither scary nor ugly. Just the opposite is true. When I allow TRUSTED others to “see into me”, I have someone to pick me up and GOD bathes me in healing, wraps me in protection and righteousness!
Ecclesiastes 4:10
If one falls, the other pulls him up; but if a man falls when he is alone, he’s in trouble.
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
The great news He will do the same for you too!
Have a great weekend.
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment