Tuesday, November 18, 2014

JOYCEFUL - Missed Post 11/14

JOYCEFUL
Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Given her demeanor and her spunk you would have never known several doctors had just spent 8 hours the day before removing a baseball size tumor from behind her lungs. Given her smile and continuous references to being blessed and protected you would have been hard pressed to realize that her lungs “aren’t the best”.
Nope.
This one in the bed at the hospital was not having any sort of bad day. No pity parties. No frowns or pouts. Just smiles and gratitude were on her agenda.
In fact when I walked into the room she was sharing some much needed counsel with someone else on the ills of addiction and smoking. Instead of woe is me, she was helping someone say “WHOA” to those things of potential damage and destruction.
Remarkable.
I find it is interesting when I see folks “living” scripture. This one came to mind while visiting yesterday.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Always be joyful. Pray continually, and give thanks whatever happens. That is what God wants for you in Christ Jesus.
In this particular case the passage could have read “Always be JOYCEFUL”. For my friend Joyce is full of joy. My friend Joyce is full of prayer and brimming with thanksgiving for one reason and one reason only…
…That is what GOD wants for her...
And as Joyce and I shared in the hospital room yesterday (which ironically was the scene for an amazing conversion a couple of years ago which is a DISPATCH for another day) I quickly realized that it was she that was doing the ministering. I had come to soothe and encourage and she turned the tables. I was to be “pastoring, comforting and encouraging” and she decided that was her job.
It was a little humbling.
For just earlier in the day I was “lamenting” about my schedule and “singing a few notes of the blues” about “this and that & him and her”. I wasn’t in perpetual thanksgiving” as she was that is for sure.
Yet there SHE was with chest tube inserted in her side like a siphoning hose on a tank saying things like “GOD is so good and His hand is on me.”
Reminding bitter old ME that GOD IS always good.
Psalms 100:5
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues…
She reminded me that it is our job to see HIS GOODNESS each day. It is our job to embrace the truth of it each day. It is our job to have the attitude of gratitude, thanksgiving, praise and contentment regardless of circumstances!
That it is our job to take our cues from JOYCE and PAUL...
Philippians 4:11-13 (MSG)
I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
Joyce is confident she will MAKE IT THOUGH this “anything” because of the ONE who made her "JOYCE" in the first place. Perhaps we should learn a lesson from my friend today and too be “JOYCEFUL” in all circumstances.
What do you think?
Have a great weekend!
Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment