Wednesday, November 12, 2014

URGENT OR IMPORTANT

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

“When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities.” ― Ezra Taft Benson

I will be honest looking at my calendar this morning it is all “colors”. No white space.  I have things to prepare for upcoming presentations, calls to make, and visits to attend to.  Got to run Ms. Beth to the airport not to mention keep my 12 year old in check.  It is a full day. 
I am sure yours looks the same.

But before I dive into any of it, I need to let GOD review it.

For if I allow GOD to “govern” as BENSON suggests then my “affections” will be well taken care of. 

If I allow GOD to govern then my “to do’s and priorities” will receive proper “prioritization”. 

If I allow GOD to govern then the demands on my time won’t feel so “demanding”.

If I allow GOD to govern then I will receive the strength and direction GOD promises that will lead, guide and steady me.
Psalm 18:33(TLB)
33 He gives me the surefootedness of a mountain goat upon the crags. He leads me safely along the top of the cliffs.

“The Principle of Priority states (a) you must know the difference between what is urgent and what is important, and (b) you must do what’s important first.” ― Steven Pressfield
And what is important?
Matthew 6:33(MSG)
Steep(ing) (our) lives in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions…

I am as guilty as anyone of getting my cart ahead of my horse; of being focused on what I perceive needs to be done rather than asking GOD what should be done. I am daily guilty of being consumed with WHAT is urgent rather than what is important.

Jesus always did what was important (GOD’S WILL).

For example no one would argue that Lazerus’ sickness was URGENT, but Jesus’ knew the lesson of his RAISING was more IMPORTANT.  So Jesus did what was important (let him “sleep” for 4 days) rather than what was urgent (heal him on the spot).
Follow me?

Often the hectic nature of our lives keeps us operating in crisis rather than priority; in “urgent” rather than “important”.  Yet Jesus encourages us to seek for His realities, initiatives and provisions before diving into the urgent matters of the day. Why?
Because He says when we do…”all of the other stuff” including the crisis’ will be taken care of. 
When we do we will gain greater clarity as to the “important” above the noise of the “urgent”.

“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” “God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.”  ― A.W. Tozer

So let’s steep a little today shall we?
Let’s steep on “GOD realities and GOD initiatives of importance.”  The day will then be just fine.
Job 22:21 (MSG)
Give in to God, come to terms with him and everything will turn out just fine. Let him tell you what to do; take his words to heart.

That is what is “important”.
 
Love you all
Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment