Monday, September 14, 2015

CABLE GUY

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

We recently were having an issue or two with our cable.  Now I know that is one of those “1st World” problems, but hang with me for a second.

So the tech arrived around 11am on Saturday to do his thing and we got to chatting about “other stuff”. And while he was diagnosing the problem what happened next was pretty neat. For what started as small talk finished with an amazing time of prayer.

This kid had been recently saved.
He was passionate about what GOD had for him.
In fact the only reason he was in Ohio was because his grandparents needed a caretaker.  He was a big kid with a big heart.
Pray for him and his grandparents and "what to do next" if you think of it.

We then shared about his little church in Fairborn and the impact they were making in “you guessed it”…ADDICTION.
Crazy!

His stepdad, the minister, is in recovery.
The church has an open door for all who are struggling with addiction, but they were struggling with how to help past the altar.

When I was able to share FREEDOM CHURCH, Fairborn Against Heroin, the REFUGE (which may be the next step for one of his dear friends), and our other CHAMPIONS in the fight, he “teared” up.

We both quickly realized that his visit had nothing to do with whether my cable was working for the OSU game. 
I now have new partners in the fight in Fairborn.
He now has some open doors for his struggling friends and is encouraged.

And it all started with a little small talk about his ailing grandma.

We should never discount the importance of our intersections or our interactions.  GOD orchestrates them all the time.  We must remember to have ears and spirits always ready and open for sharing.

That thought took me to this from Piper:
Don’t wait for a feeling or love in order to share Christ …It is not primarily out of compassion for humanity that we share our faith or pray for the lost; it is first of all, love for God.” ― John Piper

This “cable guy” loved GOD.  
He was trusting GOD.  
And he was quick to share it.  
To be honest, it humbled me a little.  I was ok with just the small talk. I was more concerned if I was going to be inconvenienced, and he was ready to share his burdens and faith.

I felt a little shallow.
It was a good swift kick in the rear-end for me.

Yet now I am excited to go to work with my new friend the "CABLE GUY".  I am excited to connect him to some “like minded” folks who ironically just meet up the street from where he worships. 
I think he is too.

My suggestion for you today is simple as you can guess.

“Open ears and open spirits can often be open doors to education, encouragement and the incredible love of GOD.”

Make sure yours are today.  If not you just might miss a little edification and inspiration from our FATHER.

James 2:8(ESV)

8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well…But if you show partiality, you are committing sin…

Love those neighbors.  Even those whom you have to make an “appointment”…

You might find a new friend.
And in my case a new fighter.

“Friendship is not a reward for our discrimination and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauties of all the others." - Lewis

God revealed a new one to me.  He may do the same for you today!

I love you ALL!
FREEDOM CHURCH (CHAMPIONS NETWORK)

No comments:

Post a Comment