Monday, September 21, 2015

TERRI TRIBUTE


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
“O GOD, Enlighten my mind with truth. Inflame my heart with love. Inspire my will with courage. Enrich my life with service. Pardon what I have been, sanctify what I am. Order what I shall be and Thine shall be the glory and mine the eternal salvation through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen”
That is a prayer penned by a dear saint who went home to be with the Lord last week. Terri was light, salt, love, compassion, competition, care and dedication all wrapped into a lovely package. Terri cared deeply for ALL creation. She was an animal lover a people lover, a care giver and nurturer.
She inspired others with her zeal for life and her passion for the living!
She will be missed by many.
Me included.
She was an integral part of the work at the Jeremiah Tree. She took the time to put together a packet of inspiring verses for our homeless. She ministered to those who came to the Tree practically and she more importantly ministered SPIRITUALLY.
She was an encourager.
She was always quick to act.
She and her husband Gary were my “go to” folks when the unusual need would walk into the Jeremiah Tree.
Case in point:
One day while I was counseling I received a persistent and urgent call from our partners at the local Rite-Aid pharmacy. Standing at their counter was a person who due to an insurance snafu was unable to afford the ENSURE supplements they required.
These supplements were all this person could eat and the situation was dire.
I was thankful that the folks at Rite-Aid trusted to the TREE to deliver, but at the time resources were slim and I was unable to leave.
So I did what I usually did when the “unusual” arose. I sent a FACEBOOK message to the BLEVINS team. 
Within 10 minutes.
Yes I said 10 minutes... the number from Rite Aid popped up on my phone again and I thought to myself, “My gosh, give me a chance, we are working on it.”
But when I picked up it was Terri and Gary asking the question, “How much should we get and do they want chocolate or vanilla?”
I have never forgotten that.
They dropped whatever they were doing. 
Got in their car. Went to Rite-Aid “on demand” and the need was met, the crisis averted and the elder blessed and fed.
I can’t count the times when I would walk out of a store or pharmacy after providing something for a Jeremiah Tree client only to bump into Terri and Gary and have them bless me on the spot with resource. I can’t count the number of rolls of toilet paper, the shoes, and necessities for our clients that she and Gary blessed us with.
Terri embodied this…
…the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” Acts 20:35 (NIV)
As we said goodbye to a special wife, mother, sister, aunt, grandmother and friend Friday, I was honored to call her my friend and partner in ministry.
She taught me so much.
She treated strangers like family and family like royalty. I have a lot to learn from her still.
So as you embark on your day, take a moment to pray for Gary and the family as today the reality of Terri’s departure will begin to set in. Be inspired by the story of one who understood the power of giving and the impact of an inspired selfless spirit on others.
Let's make her prayer our prayer today…
Lord:
Enlighten OUR minds with truth.
Inflame OUR hearts with love. 
Inspire OUR wills with courage. 
Enrich OUR lives with service.

No comments:

Post a Comment