Wednesday, September 25, 2013

BOX IT UP




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
I have mentioned a couple of times that GOD often orchestrates my days “thematically”. What I mean is often my days, especially those ministering at the JEREMIAH TREE, will arc around a specific topic or challenge.
Yesterday was blame.
I met with 2 parents blaming themselves for the addictions of their kids. That one took a whole box of tissues.
I then chatted with a mom being blamed by her son for his addictive tendencies and subsequent failings. That one needed boxing gloves.
Mixed in were 8 or 9 other sessions where I felt like I was on the merry-go-round at the carnival. We were going around and around but always ending up in the same place; everyone wanted to blame or was being blamed.
For the addicted person, blame is “relieving”. The less an addict has to look in the mirror at their own failing and issues, the better! It is so much easier to target someone else and blame them for the pain and ill than it is to own it.
But addicts and their parents aren’t the only ones who play the blame game. We all have opened that box a time or two haven’t we?
The real problem is that we want control; plain and simple. The funny part is we have a hard enough time trying to control ourselves so how in the world would we think we could control others? But we do.
I learned early on in this ministry, I can control no one. I couldn’t handle myself. I can offer opportunities and share experience but I certainly can’t control. If I can't control, then I surely can't blame.
But when things go wrong we are quick cast blame as if someone else’s actions dictated our emotional response: “Mom sucked at being a mom so I started using because of it.” (That is a true statement made yesterday in my office!) In reality, regardless how rotten mom may or may not have been; her son CHOSE the heroin and he has to own that choice.
Period. I know a little harsh, but just being real.
It is easy to forget sometimes that our reaction to others is a CHOICE. We can always decide whether to react in a godly or worldly fashion when someone hurts us or when things go sideways. We can choose the high or the low road.
Therefore no matter how much blame we sling or attempt to offload onto others, the Lord cannot be misled by our maneuvering. He looks only at the heart. He knows the truth. And as much as we think it does, the blame game does not end up making us look better. Instead, it hinders our fellowship with God.
Why? Because the responses He is looking for are forgiveness when we are hurt and repentance when we do the hurting.
Otherwise, we get too caught up in either vengeance or escaping culpability neither of which fits GOD’s way. GOD's way is...
James 5:12
…Just say yes or no. Just say what is true…
Simple. Direct.
So if you find yourself playing the blame game today, STOP PLAYING! The game has no point, there are no winners. Instead ask GOD for forgiveness and the strength to forgive others.
Luke 6:37
Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn (blame), and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
And box up that blame game!
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment