Monday, September 16, 2013

DISTRACTIONS




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
It is easy to get off track isn’t it?
We live in a very distracting time. There are marketers and commercials vying for our attention 24x7. Pop ups on our web sites, instant messages on our phones, a barrage of side panels, radio spots, tickers and trailers; the onslaught never stops. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Texting take up a big portion of the day these days.
I will be honest, my inbox is full, I have a “skosh under” 9000 text messages on my phone (cause that is all it will keep), and a pretty active Facebook regiment. I am not immune.
But if we aren’t careful, distractions can be dangerous.
Ask yourself…
Do any of these things inhibit your relationship with GOD; prevent you from drawing closer to Him? Do they get in the way? Take precedent? What about the time spent pleasing bosses by coming in on a Sunday or the mindless time spent in front of the TV? Even serving in the church can be a slippery slope.
Now I know this isn’t a new notion and before I go further I want to say there is nothing inherently wrong with a Twitter account or catching an episode of Duck Dynasty or Diners Drive Ins and Dives. They only become “dangerous”when we allow them to distract us from our personal relationship with God.
So the purpose of today’s DISPATCH is to just help each of us to “reset”a little. It is the beginning of a new week, are our priorities in order?
Maybe you are like me and need to admit to God that you've allowed busyness or other distractions to pull your eyes off Him recently. Join me and ask for forgiveness and his help. He wants that!
John 4:23
That's the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before Him…
Overcoming distractions and focusing on God become easier when we get back to the basics; when we make Him first; when we like many preachers have echoed, “keep the main thing the main thing”.
So let’s do just that.
Don’t look at that "to do" list. I know you want to.
Don’t check the TWITTER stream for a second.
The“likes” can wait.
If there is something you just can’t miss popping up on the TV, push the DVR button or track it down later on HULU.
Proverbs 4:36-27
... ignore all sideshow distractions. Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you.
Let’s focus.
Let’s prioritize.
Let’s pray.
Father, I do love you and adore you. I praise you for who you are and for all that you've done for me. You are my priority for this day. I want You to have it and have me. Direct me. Make me available and responsive to Your will. Point out my distractions. Help me to limit their impact. I praise You for your love, your power, your goodness, grace and favor over my life. I look forward to a focused day with You!
In Jesus' precious name…
Amen.
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment