Thursday, September 26, 2013

RESTORES




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Jeremiah 30:17 ESV
For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord…
Yes He does. GOD even heals self-inflicted wounds and restores health lost to bad choices and irresponsibility. He does. Don’t believe me? Let me tell you a little about yesterday.
Over a decade ago I was privileged to assemble a little group of soccer players. My little girl Sam was one of them. They were a goofy lot. Truth be told they still are. But we were the XPRESS and that was that. We won some and lost some. I was honored to be their coach.
Now flash forward to last night. The fellowship, camaraderie and team that was forged around the turn of the century was still arm in arm last night as the XPRESS celebrated SENIOR NIGHT at XHS.
The weather was perfect and the atmosphere crackling with enthusiasm and energy. It was a wonderful night. The Lady Bucs even posted a win! I got to announce them. That was truly an honor.
Great story right?
But why share all this. Why here. Why as a DISPATCH? Here is why.
Truth be told, I didn’t deserve last night at all. In my illness and alcoholism, I abandoned these little girls just as they were reaching their promise. Selfishly I placed my relationship with alcohol over and above every one of them. I even stooped to coached intoxicated on more than one occasion. Those girls didn’t deserve someone like me; a self-centered drunk. In fact I lost them for a while. I didn't deserve to even be there last night.
But GOD had a different plan. When I returned to HIM, He returned to me one of those things that were truly valuable; my little girls; my XPRESS.
Zechariah 1:3
“Return to Me, that I may return to you.”
But should I be surprised? That is what GOD does.
…your wounds I will heal (even self-inflicted ones!).
The message for today is that GOD is a GOD who loves to RESTORE! He turns shame into celebration and blessing! He did for me! He will for you!
Isaiah 61:7
Instead of your shame you will have a share that is twice as much…
GOD turned the shame and guilt of my sin into a blessing that I will never forget. He more than doubled my joy as I stood arm in arm with my precious Samantha and all of my “adopted” little girls on the same soccer field where I had played my senior night 30 years before.
GOD wants that for you too. He loves rebuilding lives! Even when all he has to work with is a broken down alcoholic “has been, never was soccer coach”, He restores!
I had one of the Xenia dads ask me why I didn’t cry when I was announcing the girls for this big night. There was no time for tears! For all I was doing was praising GOD! He kept HIS word!
Psalm 103:2-5
2 Praise the Lord, O my soul. And forget none of His acts of kindness. 3 He forgives all my sins. He heals all my diseases. 4 He saves my life from the grave. He crowns me with loving-kindness and pity. 5 He fills my years with good things and I am made young again like the eagle.
He restored and I felt truly young again.
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment