Thursday, September 18, 2014

ABIDING AND STRIVING



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

It needs to be more about “abiding than striving” doesn’t it?

Maybe you are like me.  You wake up in the morning and the “routine” kicks in.  Get some breakfast going for the wife, get a load of laundry in the wash, rustle the kid to get up and get him or her moving, grab a little exercise, get the “computer” stuff done (post, DISPATCH, catch up on my “flock” via FACEBOOK) grab a shower and a V8 Energy and dive into the day.
I mean I have got meetings, got obligations, got counseling, got crisis management, and got stuff to get done!
Sounds like a lot of striving to me.  Does it you?

It doesn’t look like there is much time for planning, dreaming, visioning, or any sharing let alone abiding at all.  To be honest, I believe I don’t take time for those things because they often translate into more work, more need to strive.
Just being real with you.

I was with my mentor yesterday and over coffee we got rolling on our “what ifs” our “what if we did this’” kind of discussion.  It was REALLY productive.  He and I together can “think” and “dream” with the best of them.  The three hours went by like it was a minute.
But then came the “anxiety” on the trip home from Circleville.

What is it going to take to “do” what we talked about?
Replicate Jeremiah Trees? Replicate FREEDOM Ministry? Build a more sound process for volunteer involvement? Connect all the RECOVERY ALTERNATIVES together for the Attorney General to review? Enlist the “CHURCH” to unite to help addicts assimilate into their congregations?  Their families too?  Find funding for all of it?

Looks like it is time for some more striving!

But GOD smacked me right in the mouth this morning and reminded me, ALL THE STRIVING, all the EFFORT that I could exhaust is worthless without ABIDING in HIM first. 
GOD says let ME help.
John 15:7 (AMP)
7 If you live in Me [abide vitally united to Me] and My words remain in you and continue to live in your hearts, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.
You catch that?
ABIDE! Don’t immediately strive! I will do the heavy lifting He says.

I need to bring all these ideas, all this calendar of stuff, all the building opportunities, the “shelter projects and presentations”, the events, the “shows” and lay them down at HIS FEET and allow HIS WORDS to direct me.
Then I need to shut up. Listen.
Just listen.
Proverbs 2:1-5 (GW)
2 My son, if you take my words to heart and treasure my commands within you, if you pay close attention to wisdom, and let your mind reach for understanding, if indeed you call out for insight, if you ask aloud for understanding, if you search for wisdom as if it were money and hunt for it as if it were hidden treasure, then …you will find the knowledge of God.

So I need to ask:
What are YOUR priorities GOD?
Am I doing all this to glorify me or YOU? What will GLORIFY YOU?
Is any of it Your will?
Have I slipped back into PERFORMANCE based mode? Am I “striving” to please you, working to SEE YOU glorified?

The point is this.
I am certain I am not the only “striver” out here.  Many of us slip into the "busyness" of life or possibilities without ever PAUSING to invite GOD into the conversation and planning. 

Take a minute to ABIDE before you STRIVE.  Seek direction. Seek counsel. Find peace in your efforts. Make sure your motivation is sound and to the glory of GOD.  Then ask GOD to help. 
His plan is far better; his direction superior to any of our striving.
Psalm 37:4 Keep company with God, get in on the best.
 
Have a blessed day!
I love you all
Freedom Church
 
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment