Monday, July 15, 2013

POSITIVE PUTTING



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
I got to play golf late yesterday afternoon with someone new. He is a good man, godly fella and pretty fair golfer to boot.
And while my game is still “evolving” since picking it back up this summer after a 5 year absence, the golf I play these days isn’t so much about the score as it is “the fellowship”.
I mean I played golf a whole lot better a few years back, but if I didn’t have a score card, I couldn’t really tell you if I played or not. I can’t recall some of the amazing venues I was fortunate to play (SPYGLASS HILL, PINEHURST, THANKSGIVING POINT) because I was “present” but not present if you get my drift. Golf and drinking went hand in hand. In fact down the stretch of my addiction it was more about the drinking and getting away from my wife, responsibilities and work than it was about the golf.
So yesterday while I had a good putt here and there and the occasional good shot, I was more intrigued by what my playing partner said as we were exiting 4th green. I had made a little 8 footer to save bogey and he commented that I was putting well.
Then I said, “Just wait, it will go south in a minute.” To which he replied, “Don’t speak that over yourself it is harmful.”
And you know what he was right.
He then went on to share how for the last 8 or 9 months he had made a concerted effort to speak blessing and “positiveness” over himself daily. And he said it was having amazing results.
He felt better. He was happier. He was more content. He said the effects were astonishing!
Now THAT is a good golf lesson!
We need to embrace the positives and diminish the negatives in our lives and it CAN begin with how we speak and view ourselves! We SHOULD remove unhealthy self-talk and pursue a more GODLY frame of mind and speech!
Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer...
We need to ask God to help us kill whatever wrong thoughts are passing through our minds, from negativity, pride and greed to anger and fear. And then replace those thoughts with ones of gratitude for all God has done for us.
Ephesians 5:20
Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ…
As well as those that focus on His fresh ways for us.
Lamentations 3:23
Every morning he shows it (HIS LOVE) in new ways!
We need to turn our thoughts toward asking God to help us see ourselves as He sees us! We will experience the same results as my golfing counselor!
Far too often we allow our circumstance, our past failures, or our fear of the challenge dictate how we feel about ourselves and that in turn can translate into how we speak about ourselves. Today, let's make the effort to remember a couple of vital truths and speak them over ourselves!
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Romans 8:37
…we have complete victory through God, who has shown his love for us.
I believe when we leverage the positives that GOD has for us, we all will experience better days like my golfing pal and perhaps I will even continue to make those putts.
I love you all…
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment