Wednesday, January 8, 2014

GET BACK & STAY THERE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
There are days when I can feel so far from Jesus. Maybe it was bad day or a misguided detour back to old thoughts or actions; days when I seemingly drift along with the world rather than pursue what GOD has for me. Whatever the cause, I have times when I just need to get back to Jesus.
Good thing He doesn’t move. Good thing He is right there ready to take me back. And yes, there is a little work and some repenting to do as the following verse suggests, but the good news is the LORD will restore and bring me back to HIM! I can get back!
James 4:8-10
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.
That IS good news!
I know I am most thankful that no matter how far away from Jesus I may drift, I’m always welcomed back. That a comforting thought and blessed promise for those days when I go off track or choose poorly.
Those drifting days…
Do you ever have days like that?
Days when you are cool to Jesus, days when YOU too have drifted or worse yet, rebelled? Whatever the story, let’s both make this the day that we do what it takes to get back to Jesus and stay there!
Our first motion has to be that laid out in the verse from James above. Acknowledge GOD. Then acknowledge the sin, the mistake, the drift. Then confess and repent. This sets things right and back in the proper direction!
1 John 1:9
But if we own up to our sins, God shows that He is faithful and just by forgiving us of our sins and purifying us from the pollution of all the bad things we have done.
But let’s not stop there.
Can I suggest a strategy to keep us near to Jesus, a plan to keep us from having to“come back” quite so often?
Let commit to stepping out of bed each day and giving ourselves to God by saying, “I surrender my all to You this day. In my decisions and choices I am seeking your best! No more drifting. I am going after YOU Lord!”
Then when something comes up that runs counter to His plan and we consider pursuing it, the Holy Spirit will have been put on alert reminding us GOD’s way is the way for today!
All day long we have choices to pursue GOD or to drift back into sin. Clearing the deck and coming back to Jesus first thing each day offers us the chance to be pursuers rather than drifters, to getting in on His best and not yesterday's worst.
1 Peter 3:18
…grow in spiritual strength and become better acquainted with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be all glory and splendid honor…
So yes, while there is comfort in the fact that Jesus is there all the time with willing and open arms for when we drift or worse yet flat out blow it, let’s instead get in step with Him from the outset and pursue His best for us today!
As someone else pointed out this week, "Invest 4 Life" if you will.
1 Timothy 6:11
Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness...
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment