Tuesday, January 28, 2014

PLEASANT SURPRISE


Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.
He arrived at the TREE looking for a little practical help and I couldn’t help but notice that as he walked into my office he did so “very cautiously”.  It was only after he sat down that he revealed that he was “legally” blind.
Sadly the light from the window in my office caused some trouble for him due to his condition, but once he settled in, he was fine.
Our conversation was like most at the TREE.  He needed some help. The good news is we had the help he needed.  I could have ended the chat with that.  But I noticed he was referred to us from a church I hadn’t heard of.  So as we were wrapping up, I asked him about the church. 
I was glad I did.
I learned that he found this church via a bible study held on Monday’s at a closed chess club.  I learned that in the last year thanks to this good fellowship he then began to attend the affiliated church.  I then learned that while attending the church, his relationship with Christ had begun to flourish and grow.  He then told me that thanks to Christ, he had quit smoking.
Good stuff right?
Then he said the thing that was the “pleasant surprise”. 
He said he couldn’t imagine ever going back to smoking or that lifestyle because he “wasn’t” that person anymore; that that person was long gone.
For him GOD had delivered him not just from smoking but GOD had truly made him something new!
2 Corinthians 5:17
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
He said he had NEVER been full of more joy; more content with life and circumstance.  He had never found such peace.  He loved being who Jesus was crafting him to be.
By the way, did I mention that he was blind?
Not one time did he “complain” over being a little behind on his bills and needing help because of his disability.
Never once did he bemoan as to why GOD left him with hindered sight and a less than a “normal” life.
Nope. 
All he could talk about was that GOD was doing some GREAT things in his life, that he was changed and was ready for whatever was next!
What a refreshing perspective! What a pleasant surprise!
Truthfully an attitude we all (especially me) should embrace! This kind of attitude...
Philippians 2:14
Do all things without grumbling or questioning…
1 Thessalonians 5:18
No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
I got to tell you, this fella inspired me.
After he left, I was reminded of this passage…
1 Peter 1:8
Though you have not seen him (in his case literally), you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory…
This fella believed!
This fella was packed full of joy!
A pleasant surprise indeed…
Have a blessed day…
I love you all!
Freedom Church

Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment