Thursday, January 23, 2014

ORDINARILY



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
You never know.
Yesterday started like most. Early.
A lingering effect of a long addiction is your sleep is never quite “normal”. And while I get teased a lot for my “early”retirements, not too many envy my early awakenings. But like I said, yesterday started ordinary; nothing special. The calendar had appointments, the phone had messages; the texts started around 5:07. Really, they did. Remember, I help other “formerly addicted”and sleep challenged people. :)
DISPATCH. A little exercise. Breakfast for Beth and then off to “work”.
Yet from there, the day shaped up to be a anything but ordinary. I had a early breakfast/coffee with a good friend. He has been and was still going through “a lot”. Relationship challenges. “Calling”questions. I have not met many who are stronger seekers than my friend. He chases after GOD heartily and with great enthusiasm. He is thoughtful and passionate. I appreciate him because he loves Jesus, isn’t afraid to share it and rarely meets a stranger.
But today, he needed me to remind him of the gospel and the providence of GOD. He needed me to energize and affirm him. Usually it is the other way around or at least an equally yoked chat. Yesterday I was there to listen. He was there to vent. And we were there to dig deeper into “where” GOD wanted us to go. So like I said, what was to be an “ordinary" "catch up" breakfast morphed into something much deeper and much more thoughtful...
That conversation needed GOD. We needed the Holy Spirit to navigate it. Nothing else was going to cut it.
Brought me back to this thought.
We need to be ready for anything GOD would have for us when we walk out the door each day. We need to activate the HOLY SPIRIT first thing because we have no idea what GOD has in store for us or with whom He will intersect us.
One thing is for sure however. Without the SPIRIT yesterday, I would have been overmatched and thin on conversation. But with Him leading, we learned and shared a lot. I was so grateful to have HIM along!
It reminded me of this important thought from Paul.
Ephesians 6:13
Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued… Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.
We can’t assume that any day will be an ordinary day. GOD is an extraordinary GOD. He demands more. But He equips us for more too!
He entrusts us to share Him with those we connect. We have to be prepared.
That is why it is crucial that we have GOD’s word handy for when we don’t know what to say.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
…Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another...Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.
It is crucial that we are quick to pray when nothing else seems to make sense.
It is crucial that we remain alert to our surroundings and the opportunities GOD grants us each day!
For we never know when a day that starts so ordinarily will become anything but…
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment