Thursday, June 29, 2017

CHECK IN FOR YOUR CHECK UP

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Let’s take a good look at the way we’re living and reorder our lives under God.
Lamentations 3:40 (MSG) 

John Maxwell suggests a “Question for God” every morning:
What is the main event today? What do you want me to focus on today?”

Warren and Baker suggest that all of us need to…reserve a daily time with God for Bible reading, self-examination and prayer in order to know God and his will for my life and to gain the power to follow his will.”

Don’t kid yourself or discount these opening remarks and scripture today. 

We ALL could use MORE time with GOD. 
We could all stand for more time in PRAYER, more time in HONEST SELF-EVALUATION, REPENTANCE, and CONFESSION.  We ALL have ROOM for GOD to grow us, prune the less desirable out of our lives, show us the habits that need corralled and provide the healing we need.

I know I do.
Yet, far too many days I suffer from what some call...
“MARTHA-SYNDROME”.   
You remember the story of Jesus coming to visit Mary and Martha and Martha being so consumed with the work, the stress, the anxiety of the job at hand that she sacrificed time at the feet of Jesus for the busyness, right? (Luke 10)

If I am not careful that is me. 
Not only do I sacrifice TIME WITH GOD to “work” for GOD, I often allow the frustration of the work and my frailties to intersect thus making me a GOOD candidate for potentially “sinful” stress, anxiousness, and irritability.

That is NOT GOOD! 
A little wacky when you pause and think about it.

But something tells me I am not alone.  
I believe that is why Paul says:
Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don’t drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. - From 2 Corinthians 13:5 (MSG)

Andy Stanley takes it a step further and suggests we ask this question:
“Do you think God can be trusted? Or do you think you always need to take things into your own hands?”

So, the thought and encouragement today is clear.
Carve out some time for just YOU and GOD today!  Give yourself a little checkup and "check in".
Ask GOD to set the agenda.  Ask the question, “What DO YOU want me to focus and work on today?” 

And then tune your ear and trust GOD for the answer to the question of focus and direction.

The day will be better I am sure.


I love you all.
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment