Thursday, June 1, 2017

FAMILY RULES

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Somehow my kids, Sam and Hillary, have a penchant for camping.  Now like the old cliché goes, my personal version of camping is the Holiday Inn Express and roughing it is when the hot breakfast bar is down for maintenance.  Suffice it to say I am not much of an outdoorsman. 
It would NOT take long for me to be asked to exit a “Survivor” episode due to general incompetence.

Yet a couple of weekends ago they convinced me to stop by their camp site in Hocking Hills.  It was all that I imagined.  But all kidding and semi-complaining aside, it proved to be a delightful evening.  Great food, great conversation, beautiful setting, and I was with the kids. 

That is always a good thing.
Being with family is always a good thing.

Yet after dinner Hillary wanted to take me to the “local store” a super kitschy place called, Grandma Fayes And when I say kitschy, I mean kitschy. 

Everything from giant foam cowboy hats to summer sausage to camping supplies, from “precious gemstones” to totem poles, this place has all that you could imagine a little touristy joint to have.  And yet while giggling around the store admiring all of the tacky treasures, I stumbled onto this little area that had the “keepsakey” stuff; you know the “usuals”, a Psalm 23 plaque, the “FOOTPRINTS” picture for the wall, those sorts of things; the things your grandma had on the walls.

And yet what caught my eye was a little wooden jewelry box with the following engraved on it:

Family Rules
Help Each Other
Be Thankful
Know you are loved
Pay with hugs and kisses
Try new things
Be happy
Show compassion
Be grateful
Dream big
Respect one another
Laugh out loud.

And I was so struck by the simplicity and practicality of that little box, I shot a quick picture of it to share with you.

Those are some good rules, family!  Yes?
All of them rooted in the Word!

Know you are loved – Jeremiah 31:3
Be grateful – 1 Thessalonians 5:18
New things – Lamentations 3:22-23
You can find the rest!

So you get where I am going today right?

Let’s practice the “family rules” today with each other.
I think if we do we will find our world to be a much nicer place and those around us will be blessed!
What do you think?
Remembering:
“Family” is not an important thing. It's everything. Michael J. Fox

So, let’s follow the rules!

Have a BLESSED day!
I love you all!
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment