Monday, June 19, 2017

CHILDLIKE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Then he said, “The truth is, you must change your thinking and become like little children. If you don’t do this, you will never enter God’s kingdom. Matthew 18:3 (ERV)

This past weekend was my FIRST Hope over Heroin for the season.  It was held in Highland County at the Hillsboro Fairgrounds.  It was a powerful weekend.

And no, Hillsboro and the surrounding area is no thriving metropolis by any means, that doesn’t diminish the challenges they face when it comes to addiction, opiate proliferation, crystal methamphetamine processing, and poverty.  This area of OHIO is some of the hardest hit by our current epidemic. 

And like Hope over Heroin often does, it offers a spectacle that unites the local “church” and serves as a receptacle for folks seeking help, seeking deliverance, and SEEKING A SAVIOR.  And many received just that.  72 baptisms.  Countless rededications. More than 15 who have been placed or are being placed in next steps (treatment or ministry).

And while I was so blessed as I always am by these events, the people, and the opportunities, (this was my 9th), I had something happen over the weekend that was a “first” for me.

I was working the “post decision” tent.  It was a place for those who were just baptized to come and “get connected”; either to treatment, ministry or potentially a church family.  And while I was blessed to spend time with the likes of Ashley and Latasha, not to mention James and some others, it was a pair of amazing young ladies who plopped down in my area that truly moved me over the weekend.

B. and A. are what we will use for their names. 
And they along with their momma were WANTING to be baptized. 

Momma had clearly been through some brutally difficult times.  It showed in the slump of her shoulders and in the creases in her face.  But tagging along were two FRESH FACES; faces with great promise and possibility.  And yes, while I know that momma was about to experience a renaissance in her own life, these two B and A wanted to get life off on the right foot!

So, when I asked little B “Why do you wanna be baptized tonight”, she gave the most precious of answers. 
She said, “That man out there said that all the things that I have done wrong will go away if I get baptized. Is that true?”

My heart melted.
B and A were probably about 10ish. 
They were dear.
But they both “got it”.  And while her list of “wrongs” is likely not “too long”, it was long enough for her and she wanted to start fresh with Jesus.

So, we spent some time talking about Jesus; His life, His love, His cross, His promises.  And neither one of them ever lost eye contact.  They were engaged.  They had heard and now it was time to take the next step. 
I was reduced to tears.
I was reminded of my little girls and my nieces.
And I was so glad that GOD was allowing me to share His love with them in that moment, in that tent, on that warm Saturday night.

You know it is kind of funny what comes rushing back to mind in moments like this and for me all I could think of was the countless confessions I had watched my Pastor, Ike Flora, take over the years and quickly the words “repeat after me” came flooding back.

So, as I had them repeat that crucial confession of faith, their eyes just lit up, so did moms and in the folks who by this time had sauntered up to see what was happening. 

They boldly confessed their willingness to accept Jesus’ gift of grace, to leave all the “bad stuff” in the water, and to help mom and each other going forward.

Now some would say they were too young.
Some would say they were caught up in the emotion and the spectacle.
I would say,
“Let the little children come to me. Don’t stop them, because God’s kingdom belongs to people who are like these children.” – Matthew 19:14 (ERV)

As I wrap today’s OFH I just want to you to pause and ask yourself.  How is my “childlikeness” today? 
Is my faith like these, B and A?
Jesus loves and appreciates faith like this!
For this kind of faith,   
It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a CHILDLIKE “What’s next, Papa?” God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children.  – Romans 8:15 (MSG)

Have a blessed day.
I love you all.
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment