Wednesday, March 23, 2016

5 S's

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I am grateful for a good friend, E.L.
I say that I am grateful for him because not only does he challenge me every time we connect, but I know I challenge him with my “sometimes ADHD” conversational styling.

E.L. may be one of the smartest “process” guys I have ever met.  Those who know me know process is NOT a strong suit.  I can understand it, I even think I do “okay” at articulating how it could work for me. 

But IMPLEMENTING it is a struggle. 
Yes that struggle is real.

I don’t know if it is I don’t have the patience or the persistence to STICK to planning before “doing”.  E.L. is a superior planner and doer.  I envy him a little in that way.

It was during our session yesterday when we were discussing the fatiguing exercise of trying to put structure and process around my most recent RECOVERY opportunity, the CHAMPIONS, that he offered me a little “processy” yet POWERFUL thing his congregation often encourages when things start getting tiring.

Far too often, at least I know in my life, the ACTIVITY sometime HINDERS my AWARENESS of the FATHER.  Sometimes my FRUSTRATION serves to FILTER His loving direction.  I even have moments where the NOISE makes me NEGLIGENT of His still small voice.

So I thought I would share and tweak this little nugget from my friend in order to help us both today.

1. Find times of SOLITUDE
Find a time and place to practice solitude. Remember, you were created by God primarily to be in community with Him. If you can't find the words, just P-R-A-Y:
P–Praise:
Thank God for Who He is. Call out His goodness and good works.
R–Repent:
Be honest about your sin and the ways you’ve fallen short.
A–Ask:
Tell God about what is missing in your life or about friends who are hurting.
Y–Yield:
Surrender yourself. Talk to God about the direction your life is going.

2. Spend TIME in SCRIPTURE
All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the faith and correcting error, for re-setting the direction of a man’s life and training him in good living. 
– 1 Timothy 3:17 (PH)

3. Time for SERVICE?
Millard Fuller, founder of Habitat for Humanity, believed that anyone could see God. He cited the above quotation as the mandate for Habitat for Humanity and said, “As long as any person is outside, we will use a hammer to manifest the presence of God’s love.”

4. Connect to SUPPORT
By yourself you’re unprotected. With a friend you can face the worst. 
– Ecclesiastes 4:12 (MSG)
Think about a time when a FRIEND was exactly what was needed to “reset the day”.

Is today a good day to listen to my process-savvy partner? 
Maybe incorporate a little intentionality to walking and “being” with GOD today?  It will refresh!

Get away for a second. Grab your Bible.  Seek to serve.  Share what GOD is doing with someone else.  And maybe today will become the "5th S" in the process, a SIGNIFICANT EVENT…

Thanks E.L.

I love you all!
Be blessed today…
Opportunities for Hope (Champions Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment