Friday, April 12, 2013

AMEN CORNER (2012)




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
This is Masters Week (and I know for some that means nothing) but for others it is first true sign of spring and a couple of folks had asked me to “resend” last year’s DISPATCH from my trip to the Masters. So I am obliging.
Have a wonderful weekend.
“A tradition unlikely any other”…
I know that there are a lot of days where I open this DISPATCH with a quote or two from someone seeking help or from conversations I have had. But today I share this little quote from Jim Nantz.
Here is why. For a golfer, one of the most revered spots on the planet lies in the hills of Northeastern Georgia in the little town of Augusta. On those sprawling acres set the site of the “MASTERS”, Augusta National.
Yesterday with my dad, uncle and cousin I walked those hallowed hills, smelled the azaleas, wandered past Ike’s Pond, watched players cross Hogan’s bridge, and stood at the top of the hill and stared down into “AMEN CORNER”. Why AMEN CORNER? It was a phrased coined by a Sport Illustrated writer in the 50’s who was searching for a term to describe this little glimpse of heavenly creation at between holes, 11, 12 and 13. For the non-golfer this little area could be reduced to “elegant” landscaping, for the golfer, AMEN corner is an appropriate moniker.
The design, the beauty, the grass, the bold pink floral backdrop, the history, Palmer’s run to his first title, Couple embanked approach on 12, the start of Jack’s fabled charge of ’86, the roars of AMEN corner still echo among the pines of this fabled cul-de-sac.
But that is probably enough of the golf metaphors and poetic picture painting. The real story was my privilege to hang out with my dad and uncle both in their 70’s and my cousin who I hadn’t seen in over 2 years.
That was a cause for an AMEN for me.
You see, yesterday was not my first trip to Augusta National, but it was my first trip there sober. And I am not going to wax elegant or over-dramatize, but seeing the grandeur of Augusta through the clear eyes of sobriety and FREEDOM, was humbling.
Maybe you are asking why…why would walking a golf course on a meaningless practice round hold any significance?
Here is the “why”.
There I stood next to my dad who I have bankrupted, an uncle who I lied to repeatedly for money and a cousin who found all of my hidden vodka in his children’s bathroom cabinet in North Carolina and we were ALL enjoying the day, laughing and sharing the experience.
That is a cause for an AMEN!
Yesterday in a sliver of 8 hours GOD revealed to me once again, restorations are possible, that He is a GOD of amazing creation, and that there is always a reason for hope.
How else can anyone explain this threesome wanting anything to do with this alcoholic?
GOD.
AMEN also means “it is so.” That’s it. No other explanation will do.
Don’t believe me; think this is just an opinion or a “sweet story”? No this is truth. GOD is a GOD of restoration
“It is so”
Deuteronomy 30:1-5
Here's what will happen… come back to God, your God, and obey him with your whole heart and soul according to everything that I command you today, God, your God, will restore everything you lost; he'll have compassion on you; he'll come back and pick up the pieces…
And that is not just a lesson and a revelation for me it is a“truth” for all of us to embrace. When we come back to GOD, GOD WILL RESTORE!
Joel 2:13-14
Come back to God, your God. And here's why: God is kind and merciful. He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot, This most patient God, extravagant in love, always ready to cancel catastrophe. Who knows? Maybe he'll do it now, maybe he'll turn around and show pity. Maybe, when all's said and done, there'll be blessings full and robust for your God!
AMEN!
I love you all!
Have a blessed Masters weekend…
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment