Friday, April 5, 2013

TEACHABLE MOMENT

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Yesterday was a paradox of sorts. Yet in the end it turned out to be one of those "teachable" days.
For those who are on FACEBOOK, you saw me and my son having a great day at the REDS game. We enjoyed a win, had 2 of the three homeruns land litterally a few feet from us, got to see the "cuban missle" blow away the ANGEL hitters and exited with bellies full of the finest, yet ridiculously priced ballpark grub. We had a wonderful time.
Yet toward the 6th inning or so my phone started “blowing up” like it has a tendency to do and nothing on the other end was “good”.
Sickness message.
Denial message.
“Let down” message.
Missed expectation message.
Crisis message.
Didn’t anyone get the memo? I am watching baseball! I am doing some dad and son bonding!
I “aintgottimeforthis”.
I found myself frustrated and then I found myself being curt and annoyed.
Then the LORD like the LORD tends to do, gave me my requisite “ANTHONY DINOZZO” slap on the back of the head. (Check NCIS footage for clarification). GOD decided SECTION 108 of GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK was a good spot for a teachable moment.
And it was there that GOD reminded me again…”Silly rabbit, it is not all about you.”
Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.
There I was being "foolish" and venting, rather than compassionate and caring.
Yet it sure is easy to fall back into that “all about me” trap isn’t it? It is for me at least; so easy to lose sight of the "simple"
Luke 10:27
He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself
I will be the first to admit it. I sometimes get downright annoyed with my “neighbors” and their penchant for bad timing and I let my temper and a dash of selfishness blur my love.
Thankfully GOD loves me enough to intervene and give my spirit that needed jolt and get me back on track.
Now I know I am not alone in this battle between selfishness and selflessness. I am sure you have had your own tug-o-wars too.
And when I am being tugged like I was yesterday afternoon, GOD encourages me to go back to this little verse.
Ephesians 5:1
...be imitators of God…
And as imitators of GOD we need to be ready to “put down ourselves”and serve others; even when it is inconvenient.
Why you say?
He clearly did that for us with Jesus; put down HIMSELF to serve us.
THAT is reason enough.
Class dismissed.
I love you all!
Have a blessed weekend!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment