Wednesday, April 17, 2013

STORMS

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
We had quite the storm blow through here last evening around 5 or so. We had some hail, big thunder, heavy rain and a little wind. It was extremely intense.
Then it was over.
Went outside and straightened a few things back up.
Wiped down a couple things that had gotten a little wet.
Shook off the umbrella and left it out to dry off.
The storm came. The storm went.
If you live in this neck of the woods, southwest Ohio, you are likely to witness a storm or two. I live in the same house I did in 1974 when the BIG APRIL storm blew through Xenia. I just lived up the street when the 2000 tornado rolled over that neighborhood. I even watched “IKE” from the same perch as I did the ’74 twister. So I have seen my share of storms.
But the thing to remember about storms is that they do eventually pass. I can remember the day after the 2000 tornado was perfectly clear and beautiful. I seem to remember the same about the ’74 storm.
So as I was listening to the rain and hail beat down on the deck GOD spoke and said, this storm may seem to be controlling things at the moment, but it isn’t. I AM and I am HERE. He even pumped this little song into my head. It is still here this morning. J
WINDS OF THIS WORLD
The truth is clear.
GOD is always in control. Even when the storm is at its full-throated roar, GOD is still firmly in charge and HE is with me (and you!).
But we tend to forget that fact when the intense storms of life start brewing, swirling and dumping their goods on us. We focus on the chaos; fearful of the damage it is doing instead of remembering WHO is still in charge of the storm and who is right by our side when the thunder is rolling and the hail is pelting.
Psalm 107:29
He made the storm be still…
Nahum 1:7
The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.
I know it is easy when we are going through a “life-storm” to be taken by surprise or worse yet to become fixated on the storm and the damage it is doing. But GOD encourages us to fix our gaze beyond the storm and on to Him.
He is in control.
Isaiah 45:7
I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.
Perhaps this morning the conditions in your life are pointing toward a big storm on the horizon. Maybe you are already in the middle of one this morning.
Don’t be fearful. Listen to that lyric!
“Jesus is with me when the storm clouds gather. He is standing by my side when the thunder rolls. He holds my hand when the world begins to tremble when the winds of this world are blowing strong!”
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment