Tuesday, December 17, 2013

PEACE GIFT

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
In recent days at the JEREMIAH TREE (and for those who are new to the DISPATCH the JEREMIAH TREE is a collaborative work where “through relationships we connect people to CHRIST and resource”) the need for help has never been more pronounced.
The holiday’s heap so much pressure on individuals and families. The ever increasing commercialization of the season puts such a strain on everyone who talks to me on the phone, after a service or in my office. I see it in almost every face of every person who I’ve encountered since before Thanksgiving.
Lots of anxiety.
Pressure to the point of oppression.
They are "weary from the worry".
“I don’t have enough for the big Christmas dinner”, they lament
“Is there anything you can do for the kids, because we can’t”, they say.
“This season stresses me completely out”, they exclaim.
Worry after worry. So much pressure. No PEACE!
Perhaps you are one of those “they's”, consumed and overwhelmed by this season rather than joyous or excited as those shepherds and kings were so long ago.
Well if you are a “they” can I offer a little truth, a little guidance?
Stop WORRYING and start WORSHIPPING the one for whom this season celebrates!
Philippians 4:6-7
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don’t forget to thank him for his answers. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.
Feeling pressured?
Pray.
Overwhelmed by the need?
Ask.
Instead of being TRIED by the turmoil, TRY thanksgiving and praise. It will bring PEACE and direction!
Psalm 28:7
I trusted in him, and he helped me. Joy rises in my heart until I burst out in songs of praise to him.
I will admit the holiday stress and the dwindling bank account take their toll on me too. I am not immune to the pressure or the stress. But I am learning to lean on the providence and the direction of GOD to bring me PEACE, to reset my perspective away from all the cultural expectations and to the one who IS the PRINCE OF PEACE!
Isaiah 9:6
And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
I have begun to turn my worry into worship of the one in the manger and GOD is settling me down and offering HIS peace!
John 14:27
I leave you peace. It is my own peace I give you.
Did you catch that?
Jesus is offering you and me an amazing gift this Christmas season and it is NOTHING like anything you are trying to buy or obtain. It is just what we need for the worry and pressure.
He is giving us the gift of peace. Let’s embrace it together! Join me today and let’s leave the worry behind and worship the Prince of Peace!
Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and PEACE in believing...
Perhaps GOD will settle you down too. I believe He will.
Why?
Again I offer Philippians 4:6-7 this time from the MESSAGE…
Let petitions and praises (worship) shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ (THE PRINCE OF PEACE) displaces worry at the center of your life.
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment