Friday, August 17, 2012

8 COUNT



 
Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
ARE YOU SEEKING?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Do you know what a standing 8 count is?

I am not a huge boxing guy, but a standing 8 count is provided to a boxer who took a really good shot from his opponent and it caused him to falter or fall but didn’t knock him out.  A standing 8 count is given by the referee to assess the boxer’s ability to go on and to let the boxer clear the cobwebs.
I need a standing 8 count today…

Before I can really even get things off the ground this morning, I need a second to recover from yesterday.  I made some bad calls.  I had some loose words.  I put “me” first a few too many times.  I let my mind wander.  I let my guard down.  I focused on my flesh and put the Spirit in the closet.  I made things all about me and boy oh boy did the enemy capitalize on that opening and rock me with a solid shot to the heart and mind.  I will be truthful, it staggered me.

I am seeking a standing 8 count this morning to gather my wits, clear the mind and seek some mercy.

Maybe you had a day like that too.  I don’t know.  Truth is we all leave our guard down from time to time.  We all lose sight of our strategy for living and tune the Spirit out.  We all open ourselves up for some hard shots from the enemy.
Thankfully GOD is a gracious GOD and when we are staggered He offers us an 8 count via Jesus our referee.

Hebrews 4:15-16 (NCV)
15 For our high priest is able to understand our weaknesses. He was tempted in every way that we are, but he did not sin. 16 Let us, then, feel very sure that we can come before God's throne where there is grace. There we can receive mercy and grace to help us when we need it.

Life will win from time to time.  Sin will stagger us.  Lust will light us up. Anger will kick the chair out from under us.  Life, flesh, and sin are unrelenting.  But GOD offers the 8 count to the righteous.

Proverbs 24:16 (ERV)
16 Good people might fall again and again, but they always get up.

If you are like me this morning, staggered from a day that was less than stellar or attitudes and more importantly actions that were less than GODLY, embrace GOD’s mercy and His hand up.  What was good in us is still good!

Philippians 2:13 (ERV)
13 Yes, it is God who is working in you. He helps you want to do what pleases him, and he gives you the power to do it.

Join me in this prayer:
Lord I am so thankful for your mercy in spite of all my mistakes. I will not allow my sins or failures to define me. I bring them to you today in humility and repentance.  Forgive me. Change me.
Open the door to a fresh day. I know you are at work in me. Close my mind to the condemnation and the lies of the enemy and open my heart to your grace and promise of restoration. I will get up!  I know you will help me.  Make today different.

Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

In Jesus' Name.
 
I love you all.
Be blessed this weekend.
Freedom Church
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment