Tuesday, August 28, 2012

BEWARE OF THE "BLINKY"

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
ARE YOU SEEKING?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
It was SRO at FREEDOM last night. Great sharing and fellowship. New faces. Old faces. Some doing awesome in recovery. Some others still trying to find their stride. But sadly, even though we were busting at the seams, there were many former faces missing from the group.
I will be truthful here. That saddens me.
Now I am realist. I am sure that some had legitimate reasons for being away. I am sure there are some that would prefer to do anything but listen to my ramblings. But I do know that some needed a jolt of encouragement, a breath of FREEDOM, maybe a hug or a shoulder and for what ever reason, they were distracted from being where they needed to be.
Got me to thinking about how crafty and distracting the enemy can be. Subtly he pulls us away from those things that are good and helpful, those things that give us energy and instill life and he manipulates us to trade them for something less. We need to be on guard.
2 Corinthians 2:11
...After all, we don't want to unwittingly give Satan an opening for yet more mischief...
But it is not just recovery folks who struggle with distractions. We all do. I know I do. Ask my wife. If the REDS or the BROWNS are on and she wants to discuss the kids or her day, I had better pause the game or fall prey to my limited attention span and immaturity.
But like I said, I am a realist. I know that life has a way of keeping our eyes of Jesus. I know that this world is loaded with blinky lights, loud noises and pretty “stuff”. We are all going to “get distracted”; suffer from some A.D.D. moments.
What I am encouraging us all to do, at least here at the outset of the day before the blinky things and the whirly gigs start to dance and flutter, is to just set our mind on GOD before the nuttiness begins.
Proverbs 4:24
Keep your eyes straight ahead;
ignore all sideshow distractions.
Watch your step,
and the road will stretch out smooth before you.
Today’s road with its myriad of choices will BENEFIT from this pause and focus; trust GOD on that. He wants to make your way clear today. He wants to help you make the BEST decisions, to be there to warn you when you are about to go awry, and to keep you “straight”.
Luke 3:5
…the crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth.
And while I know I recently shared this verse, I wanted to again this morning. This is for my folks who missed last night’s fellowship especially.
Here is our chance. Let’s shed the distractions and engage GOD.
Ephesians 1:15-16
…ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory—to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do
I love you all.
Be blessed.
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment