Friday, February 22, 2013

AC IRON


Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I don’t know how many of you folks are basketball fans.  I will say am not borderline psychotic like my friends JROB and DEEMOby any stretch, but I do like watching some hoops especially now that March is approaching.
And as many of you know I am Buckeye fan.  And OSU has a kid on their team named Aaron Craft.  He hails from Findlay Ohio, is 6’2’ an academic all-American and the topic of some distant infatuation of a couple of Hillary’s pals on campus.

And I will admit it. I am an Aaron Craft fan.

But you are not going to see Aaron Craft lighting up SportsCenter or in the highlight reels.  He won’t be the topic of a lot of talk shows or be participating in the NBA All-Star weekend down the road.  But Aaron is a great basketball player because he makes everyone around him better.

He is a wonderful point guard and a tenacious on-ball defender and a leader.  He inspires his teammates to work as hard as he does on the little things, the things that won’t make you famous but make the team better.

In other words he is unselfish.

That got me to thinking this morning.

GOD calls us to “make those around us better.”

Proverbs 27:17
Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

GOD calls us to be unselfish even when it hurts…

Luke 6:27-30
“To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person. If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.

That is a tough one huh?

So maybe you would like to join me and ask yourself these questions this morning.  I am bringing out the best in others or am I stuck and focused on “just me”?  Do I handle my opponents unselfishly and gracefully or am I more tit-for-tat?  Who can I encourage or inspire to “be better” today? Can I be generous when I am usually greedy?

Tough questions I know, but the WORD says...

Colossians 4:6
…Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others…
 
So we better get to it right?  
Oh...and GO BUCKS!

I love you all!

Have a blessed weekend!
Freedom Church
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment