Thursday, February 28, 2013

BE A FRIEND



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Let me start by saying I love FACEBOOK. It is an amazing tool for my ministries. I can communicate quickly and succinctly to a lot of folks or send a private message. I can keep up with “what is happening” and keep folks informed. And don’t get me started about how helpful texting is and I can feel myself slowly being dragged into “twitterdom” as well.
Yet as helpful as these tools are, we must not let the technology trump our opportunities to be “relational”. GOD designed us for relationships and unfortunately thanks to the technology we have unknowingly traded fellowship for a tweet and relationships for a post. I am very guilty of this. I will admit it.
But what is that old saying?
“A friend in need is a friend in “deed”. In other words a true friend is a friend who “does”for another. A good friend is there for another. A good friend is relational.
But have we relegated our friendships to some “likes”, “hashtags”, and smiley faces? Let's be honest with ourselves.
Like I said, I love the tools, but I believe that GOD has called us to be more than a “follower” on TWITTER; He has called us to be relational.
And what does that mean?
It means that true friends are there for one another in the good times and the bad.
Just like GOD.
It means that true friends step up to the plate and lend a hand when needed.
Just like GOD.
It means true friends overlook the faults in another and love just for the sake of loving.
Just like GOD.
Are you that kind of friend?
Proverbs 17:17
Friends love through all kinds of weather…
GOD is that kind of friend to us, in fact HE calls us HIS friends.
2 Corinthians 5:20
…God...he’s already a friend with you.
The question is, are we that kind of a friend to others? This kind of friend?
John 15:12
This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
And how does GOD love us as His friends?
Unconditionally, closely, intimately, and RELATIONALLY. Therefore we should be doing the same with our FRIENDS too, right?
Perhaps there is an old friend who you haven’t connected with in a while. Carve out an hour or two for them in the next week or so for a coffee or a conversation. Pick up the phone and give them a call.
See if there is a friend who could use a little hand or a little heart and extend it.
Be intentional. Be relational. Be a friend.
Just like GOD.
Have a blessed day!
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment