Wednesday, February 20, 2013

WORSHIP?




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Just what is "worship" anyway? That is one of those "churchy" words isn't it?
Is worship “what we do” to open or close a service?
Just where does “worship” happen?
Is it reserved for those planned and rehearsed moments on a Sunday morning?
I mean what does that popular song say?
“Here I am to worship, here I am to bow down here I am to say that you’re my GOD”.
Is that a Sunday exclusive? Good question.
I was having just a casual chat with my dear friend Eric last night before choir and he said something that struck me. In a nutshell he said it is our “response to life” that allows others to see Jesus.
And he couldn’t be more right.
And the more I chewed on that on my way to pick up Sam from work the more I tried to put Eric’s passing comment in the context of him as a worship leader. And the comment got me to thinking.
Our response to life, our obedience to GOD in our daily decisions, our honoring Him with our choices and our thoughts IS WORSHIP.
Worship can and should be a CONSTANT “thing”.
Songs are great and musical sets are awesome vehicles for worship that is for sure, but we encouraged to be worshippers just by “doing, choosing and obeying” GOD throughout the day.
For when we do those things, we are acknowledging our love for Him; we are acknowledging our awareness of Him in our day.
When we do we are expressing worship.
In other words, worship isn't something we simply feel or sing or play. Worship isn't the name we give some experience that we seek while singing, lifting our hands, or closing our eyes. It's something we DO with our bodies and minds in all of life.
For when we accept Jesus, we automatically become worshipers of God. The rest of our life is simply a brief preparation for what will be an eternal occupation: giving God grateful, wholehearted worship.
Revelation 4:8
Day and night they never stop saying: “‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come.”
Paul even confirms this idea of “rest of life” and “all of life”worship in Romans.
Romans 12:1-2
So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering.
In others words, take ALL that you are going to do today and honor GOD with it.
Going to make and serve coffee today at the restaurant? Worship GOD by doing your best and serving with a smile.
Going to have lunch with a friend? Worship GOD with an honoring and pure conversation.
Going to tend to patients or clients? Do it with integrity and truth.
Worship GOD with whatever you do!
Now this isn’t a new thought. That is for sure. Because, I think Francis Havergal got it right over 125 years ago with this little lyric…
Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise.
Therefore, if you are up and reading this, then it is time to worship.
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment